Monday 12 September 2016

wounded in time- Part 2 Graveside monologue to the addicts -Copyright Robert Fullarton 2015



Graveside monologue
-Prose piece. Unfinished

-Copyright Robert Fullarton 2015




"I walked through the grooves, between the tombstones, beside the cypress trees that gently swayed in the wind. The heartbeat of the precinct has ceased to thud and all had fallen in reflective silence, it was almost a music to me!"

"That music was reflected to me in the names, the dates, the inscriptions and professions of the dead upon their tombs and it was to me like reading stories and probing into the lives of those departed.
I saw the graves of doctors, the written prayers to little children, messages written for the generations, from mothers wishfully to their dead sons, chiselled in stone. I remember the sight of a tomb for newly weds together, groped and buried together, I can imagine their bodies and perhaps their souls entwined forever!"

"Flowers adorned the gravel pits, where I read the words of our Lord on the resurrection and the judgment of the dead. I was hit with the thoughts of childhood and the innocence that had I lost in time."

"Eternity is the moment renewed forever, but man must not live forever in his present state, because- according to the theologians!- he is corrupt! In the body and that is why it decays, if you believe in the idea of a moral universe. I can see this myself in the passions and the violence that man is willing to administer, slaying brother for brother and he will give any excuse he can for the utopia he wants to call his own!"

"Dont worry lads! I will get to my point now in just a moment!"

"I have always believed the weightless soul lives on after the death of the bounded body! I felt this after I had given up "the sauce" myself."

"You see the world has always been a market, where all things are for sale, but the very reason you need to live and to love is willfully ignored. We are seduced in time, by the power of the marketplace and that is the end of childhood and the end of innocence. We can buy our vices, and sell our innocence and that is when one eats from the tree from the knowledge of good and evil!"

"As a young adult I was a frequenter of many drinking parties, where men gambled and drank until the early hours of the morning. Under the midday sun we resumed our drinking and left our stained mattresses to pay the "madam of the house" our bills and then we stumbled out in the stale world itself!"

" I remember one particular night at the Marquis Club over on F _ street.
 I drank beer after beer and in time it tasted like sulphuric acid to my system- as it had damaged my  
esophagus- the lava poured down into my stomach- and it burned with all sorts of gastric agony, the room spinned and spinned in circles where monsters laughed and laughed at my fearful disposition.
The journalists that I worked with and drank with abandoned me and went out the door that night."

"The drinking party had departed from the fluorescent lights of the Marquis, and went out unto the squalor and the seediness of the back streets where they crawled off into their own oblivion. Off they went in through a country lane until they came unto an old Anglican Graveyard."














Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home