Monday 7 November 2016

Battles of Luzhinsky -Extract 2- copyright Robert Fullarton 2016

Battles of Luzhinsky
-Extract 2- copyright Robert Fullarton 2016


Luzhinsky was only twenty years old at the time, having finished his training as a cadet, he was now a lieutenant in the 2nd Polish Cavalry brigade. The mercenaries from Saxony, Lithuania and Bavaria marched alongside musketeers, infantry men armed with pikes (in reminiscence of a Greek phalanx of Hoplite soldiers) and pistols, with devotion and ferocity against the Turk.

Luzhinsky looked up to Colonel Von Goetze who rode beside him on his horse, that strode forth, in red and white garments, with a drooping black moustache, a felt hat, whose cape flew in the wind. The colonel was a Saxon who was sent from the Electors’ office to train the troops at Warsaw’s Royal Military Academy. The tactician was a moral man, in the midst of war, he had a conscience and a name for being a professional, a strategic man, a cartographer, a man of elegance and efficiency in the moment of action.

“Things are tight for the Viennese right now. It is rather a great weakness in their rule which has left their country wide open for an invasion!”

Said Von Goetze to Luzhinsky as he rode beside him as if he were his adjutant, but Luzhinsky was indeed being groomed for such a position and indeed the close proximity of their common desires had made Luzhinsky into the hungry protégé to the tactician.

“That is so sir”, said Luzhinsky merely listening, while hanging on his words with interest.

“Yes, large scattered armies, lack of central control, unity in the Habsburg domain. There are too many squabblers in the nobility, that have been chasing rebels in Bohemia and made it their business for the ruination of the northern kingdoms. So they have savagely blinded themselves, this former Samson of strength made the rivers of the nations flow with blood. It was a nightmare which ended in the deaths of my parents and the sacking of my town by Wallenstein’s murderous rogues.”

“Well sir! Why do you now come to the aid of the Habsburgs?”

“Interesting that you should ask that question, Arnold. You see I serve the Polish army, and King Sobieski himself. I have made my living from my tutorials and my field work. King Sobieski has a treaty with Leopold of Austria, for the defence of Vienna and now they have been under attack for at least four days. With the call for action and the cry for help it seems all has been apparently forgiven and forgotten between the northern Kingdoms and the Imperial south, which is greatly controlled by the Habsburgs of Austria. I am pious in my faith and devout in my duty, I execute it with great precision, I’ve spent my life travelling through much of Europe and now at this stage in my life I fear the further expansion of the Ottoman foe, so I have decided not resign my position. I represent Poland to a certain extent, but I am always a Saxon, whose homestead was burnt when I was an adolescent and these ashes rose to become my armour and I am now a different man entirely.”

“Interesting. I do not blame you for feeling such sentiments. It must pain you to remember the past and the shame of the Imperials on the Northern rebels. But I want to ask you how the armies should mobilise? What is the strategy of the generals? So far, as you know it to be?”

“Well siege resistance requires the security of all passages, a solid defence of all positions means destroying enemy sappers, there must not be a chink in the chain of defences! If the Turks are held at the walls of Vienna then the Polish and Imperial armies will have room to manoeuvre! Their focus is on holding out until the relief arrives. It is the initial phase, our brothers from Baden, Saxony and Bavaria have sent messengers and scouts to us to inform the Polish command on the movement of their armies from the west.”
“What is the second phase sir?”

“Direct contact with the enemy upon a point of weakness in their lines, to breach those lines and create a haemorrhage of men, make them desert and spread the fear among their hearts. We will fight piece by piece with the Sipahi, and hand to hand with the Janissaries, but we need plenty of open ground to charge. With the swift waves of the cavalry we have to hit them on their right flank and catch them unawares. The Janissaries are good fighters, they are however a horrific foe to fall into the arms of. It will be like dogs in a ditch, that unfortunately is the diplomacy of men in such moments!”

“Well their reputation precedes them sir and it is one of death and slavery! I saw the Hussars march forward this morning at first light and I have to tell you that I knew then and there that I wanted to join them! Is there any soldier more like unto an archangel? In action they are said to be like eagles hunting hares! Their ornate steel plated armour, their mounted feathers and fearless disposition have given them a name as truly brilliant warriors and I have to be like them!”

“Well if that is what you truly want then I will have a word with Colonel Kaminsky and give him a character reference on your behalf and have you sent for training at the nearest garrison. Just get yourself promoted to captain, I will help you reach the maturation of your military aspirations. Now first let’s s focus on tomorrow’s fight, rest, march and smash their positions into splinters!”



The colonel laughed and dismounted from his horse, giving orders and joking with the officers at his side, Luzhinsky in his rigorous youth was staring on candidly as the army settled down into the dark environs of the countryside. Thousands of men in multi-faceted appearance, the raising of tents, the roasting of pork, the rising charcoals unto the dark seascape matched with the noise of a boisterous men together in the fields made a great impression on Luzhinsky as if this were the great adventure of his time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home